Sunday, September 11, 2011

Candy Corn Card - and a Challenge

Yesterday I had to get up get up at 5 am to take Bradley to the school for an away cross country meet.  As I was driving home at the early time of 6:15 am I thought to myself, "Why not go to Walmart!"

I've got a love/hate relationship with Walmart.  But at 6:30 am there weren't any long check-out lines or strange people.  Actually, I saw some pretty 'normal' people there.  I wanted to ask them why they were there so early.  Maybe they're just morning people.  They didn't look like they had just gotten off the night shift.  In fact, all of them seemed to be happy.  It was a pleasant shopping experience.

As I was walking through the aisles, I kept seeing candy corn.  They've strategically placed bags of it all over the store on the end caps.  Thus, the inspiration for today's card:



For the candy corn pieces I started with a strip of Whisper White card stock.  Using Tombow multipurpose glue I adhered a 3/8" strip of Daffodil Delight, then above that a 5/8" strip of Pumpkin Pie.  Next I used the Petite Pennant Builder punch to create the candy corn shape - leaving the tip of Whisper White showing.


After they were punched I applied Crystal Effects.  The candy and the greeting are all popped up on Stampin' Dimensionals.

I'm entering this card in the Pals Paper Arts Halloween challenge.

Stamps: Grateful Greetings
Paper: Whisper White, Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie, Basic Black. Just Add Cake dsp
Ink: StazOn Jet Black
Accessories:  Petite Pennant Builder punch, 1 1/4" Square punch, Dotted Scallop Ribbon Border punch, Stampin' Dimensionals

Happy Stamping!

8 comments:

Susan said...

So cute!

Margaret said...

How clever and such a fun card! I 'like' (using this word loosely...) going to Wal-mart later on Sundays. It's not too busy then either!

Pam~ said...

Love how you got your inspiration and put into your card ... stunning! So creative ... love it! Thanks for joining in the fun at Pals Paper Arts!

LeAnne said...

And what a cute, sweet card this is! FUN touch using the CE! I am like you with Walmart.....but I am not sure I could get there at 6:30. A great idea, though...maybe on my day off!

Jana said...

Your shiny candy corn really caught my eye. I love it!

Texas JennyWren said...

LOVE your card!! I am gong to case it because it is such a cute idea!! I love crystal effects - it makes all the difference in so many things, doesn't it? txjennywren.blogspot.com

Paper Potter said...

*GASP* Of COURSE!!! Why didn't I think of this strip piecing just like in quilting??? And thank goodness for the pennant punch .. love it! TFS :)

Allison said...

So cute and clever! Love it!