Saturday, January 14, 2012

Two Challenges Combined- Merry Monday and SUO Challenge

A few weeks ago I thought to myself that I really need to make Christmas cards all year round.  Then I stumbled upon a new challenge called Merry Monday, a new weekly sketch challenge.  And here's this week's sketch:




I've combined this sketch with the SUO Challenge to pick a technique that's something you use infrequently – or not at all.
The technique that I use infrequently (due to lack of experience and confidence) is watercoloring. I started out by stamping my focal images several times on different types of card stock - Whisper White, Shimmery White, and watercolor paper.  This way I had many different pieces to practice on.  

I tried several different methods of watercoloring (aqua painter and ink pads, aqua painter and reinkers, blender pen and ink pads, blender pen and reinkers).  For the size images I had, the blender pen and reinker gave me the best effect.  (I thought about photographing my "mistakes," but I don't want to embarrass myself. LOL!)  I used the image created on watercolor paper.



Stamps: Polar Party
Paper: Watercolor, Real Red, Garden Green, Brights Collection Patterns dsp paper stack. Regals Collection Patterns dsp paper stack
Ink: Garden Green, Daffodil Delight, Real Red, Pacific Point, Early Espresso, StazOn jet black
Accessories: Big Shot, Tasteful Trim die, Blender Pen, Dazzling Details, 2-way glue pen, Stamp-a-ma-jig


Happy Stamping!

Susan
PS- No matter what I did, I could not stamp that sentiment properly.  If anyone has any tips on stamping fine print words or intricate designs, please let me know.  Although I could stamp the trees with no problems, I think my StazOn pad is not evenly inked.

7 comments:

Lesley said...

Hi Susan,
What a terrific card, with fun Christmas colours! Your colouring is perfect, I like using my blender pens too. So happy you could join me at Merry Monday!
Smiles,
Lesley

Margaret said...

Awesome card and I think your water coloring is great! I know how you feel about the lack of confidence, I never feel like my water coloring attempts are as good as they could be!
As far as the inking, you might try tapping the stamp on various parts of the ink pad and see if the inking is more even.

Mary Brown said...

I am SOOOO with you on watercoloring! You did an absolutely FANTASTIC job! Thanks for joining us for the SUO challenge!

Shelia said...

beautiful coloring on that cute image!! lovely card.

Jean McKenzie said...

Very lovely card - your shading of the trees is so good. The little touch of glitter finishes it all off nicely!

Heidi Baks said...

Very cute, and congrats on being ahead of the game! Thanks for joining us at SUO Challenges.

Jen Timko said...

Well, your watercoloring is pretty spectacular here! So glad you joined us this week at SUO Challenges!