Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A White January

Yesterday was supposed to be the first day for the kids to go back to school after Christmas vacation.  Well, we got an automated call at 5:43 am that school was delayed.  I still got the kids up at the regular time, got them fed, then went out to shovel snow.  After I cleaned off the van for Randy, I went out front and shoveled a path along the sidewalk where the kids walk to the bus stop.  Just as I was finishing, Bradley opens the front window and yells, "School is cancelled, Mom!"

Well, of course, I thought he was joking.  After a long Christmas vacation who would cancel school for all those children so eager to learn?

Well, it was true. Bradley caught a photo of the school cancellation from the television screen on his iPod.  I had to check the school web site to verify it, too because I was in complete denial.  I had planned on cleaning the house, but had to alter my plans.  Instead, we had a day of playing in the snow, hot chocolate, homemade oatmeal raisin cookies, and a bit of snuggling to warm up the kids.  Mixed in with that was a bit of arguing among the kids.  So when Randy came home for lunch, I took a much-needed break and shoveled more show.

Right at supper-time Bradley walked in from a day of snowboarding to say that he thought his shoulder was dislocated.  He was guarding his left arm and needed help to get his coat off.  Because of his ADHD he's very dramatic about any little ache or pain.  Every emotion is exaggerated with him.  So, I wasn't sure what to think.  However, when I saw him trying to eat with his right hand, I knew something was wrong.

Randy took Bradley to the ER.  He kept texting me with updates.  Finally, I got the diagnosis call: Bradley may have broken a growth plate in his shoulder.  He has to see an orthopedic surgeon on Friday.  They'll take another x-ray to see for sure.  For now the diagnosis is a shoulder sprain.  So Bradley's wearing a shoulder harness/sling.  And he's staying home from school today to rest. (I asked if I could put a photo of him sling and all on my blog and he refused.)

For obvious reasons, I got NO stamping done yesterday.  Here are some cards that I made a few days ago.  These cards use some new products that are available today with the debut of the Occasions Mini catalog.  I mounted both clear mount stamps onto one block and stamped them at the same time.  Then I used the smallest of the Labels Framelits to cut out my stamped image with my Big Shot.  I then used the next larger Label Framelits to mat it.  The Blushing Bride Pleated Satin Ribbon is adhered to the card stock with Sticky Strip. I took a bit of the stitching out on the edges so the ribbon would lay flat on the card base.
 
Oops!  I adhered the dsp upside down!  I used Tombow, so I couldn't reposition it.
Let me know which color combo you like the best.  I think they're all sweet!

Stamps: Bordering on Romance, You're a Gem
Paper: Whisper White, Blushing Bride, Baja Breeze, Pear Pizzazz, Riding Hood Red, Twitterpated dsp
Ink: Stazon Jet Black and markers: Blushing Bride, Baja Breeze, Pear Pizzazz, Riding Hood Red
Accessories: Blushing Bride Pleated Satin Ribbon, Big Shot, Framelits Labels Collection, Finial Press tief, Stripes tief, Sticky Strip, Stampin' Dimensionals

Happy Stamping!

Susan

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Beautiful use of the new products! All three are beautiful, but being partial to blue, that is my favorite!
Hope your son is doing ok and that you manage to squeeze in some crafting time!

Annie Lee said...

Beautiful cards showcasing new products! Totally CASE'ing these!